Look, I get it. Virginia Tech is what makes Blacksburg Blacksburg. And while I cheer for them in sports, rep for them when I’m in other states, and now see maroon & orange as an acceptable color palette…
I’m so glad they’re gone right now.
One of my greatest joys of the year is when the students at Virginia Tech go off on their summer break. It’s like the area suddenly freezes in time and feels even smaller than it is already. I struggled for a long time being so far away from the beach when it comes to summertime. I’m just not used to being in mountains still, but tubing down the New River really helps. A few other perks of having an empty college town in the summer…
- Being able to walk into Lefty’s at 7:30 PM and get a table immediately? Yes, please.
- I’m able to park at the gym as soon as work’s over and actually be on time for my yoga class. Awesome.
- No frat boys sorostitutes invading every bar I walk into? Alright I sound lame but FINALLY.
- Summer events where I don’t have to park far away, and instead can abuse school parking.
- Easier to find O’s baseball fans to talk to in bars rather than all VT.
- Did I mention you can basically just get into ANY bar?
- Everyone is just so much more laid back. Especially true working in higher ed, where clients seem to have less stress on their plate.
- Running on the huckleberry trail – it’s so empty! I can go whenever without fear of too many bikers or pedestrians. I’ve become such a townie.
The list goes on. At 27 I’ve become such a townie/hermit. Honestly though, things will eventually get boring and no one likes a college town without football season. But for now…I’m going to be enjoying this thoroughly. Blacksburg summer is here. Woo!